Re: [Swiss-list] Consulting contracts while on a H1-B status

From: Bjorn Leffler <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 22:59:27 -0700

I think you're allowed to have several employers while being in H1B
status. Assuming both employers are fine with you working for the
other of course. You'll have to ask the new company to apply for your
H1B status to work for them though. Kind of as if you were
transferring companies, but staying with the old one as well. Since
you already have an H1B, you're don't have the quota problem, so it's
a straight forward administrative process.

Technically, a visa is only your permission to enter the US territory.
After that, you're here on some kind of status, like H1B status. I
don't think you can have several visas. Applying for a new one
automatically cancels the previous one. They put a stamp over the old
one saying "cancelled without prejudice".

I'm not a lawyer either, this is just how I understand it. I'm on an
H1B as well.

Bjorn