Re: swiss-list: J2 and work authorization

From: Remi Mommsen <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 23:32:51 -0700

Hi Michel,

On May 12, 2004, at 1:18 PM, Michel Maillard wrote:

> My wife and I are planning to come to Boston this summer on a J1 visa.
> My wife
> will get her J2 visa approximately one month before starting a
> post-doc trainee
> program at the Children's Hospital. It seems that she'll need a work
> authorization in order to start this program.
>
> Does anyone of you know how to proceed to obtain this authorization
> and how
> long it takes? Is there any way to start the procedure before getting
> the
> visa?

I'm sorry to tell you, but this will not work out. Your spouse can only
apply for a work permit once you are in the US. The application will
take several months, but you can request a temporary work permit (valid
for 3 months if I remember correctly) if you haven't got any response
90 days after you filed the application. The following website has some
very useful information (for Stanford CA, but I guess the general
information is valid in all states):

http://www.stanford.edu/dept/icenter/InternationalScholars/Spouse.html/index.html#apply

HTH,
        Remi

Q: How many kinds of physicists are there?
A: Three. Those who can count and those who can't.