RE: swiss-list: outstanding researcher greencard petition

From: cf <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 11:32:37 -0400

Nico Ghilardi <ghilardi_at_gene.COM> wrote:

>Hi fellow Swiss citizens,
>
>I just recently got a permanent job in the SF bay area, after having
>lived here already for four years. Now in the process of applying for a
>greencard. I am a scientist and could try the route of outstanding
>researcher, which would bypass the time consuming labor certification. I
>know several people whose qualifications don't exceed mine who got their
>greencard that way, but now I am told by the immigration lawyer that the
>standards have recently been tigthened, and that OR applications are
>heavily scrutinized.
Reference letters stating that you are a leader in your field are the most
important part of the file. If you want to go the OR route, you should start
collecting them (+ CV of the author of the letter).

>They say that the labor certification route is
>safer in my case, as my H1-B might run out by the time the OR may get
>rejected, and then there is not time left to initiate the labor
>certification route at that time.
~ 6 months before you H1B runs out you can ask for an "employment
authorization" that you can extend up to two years.

good luck