swiss-list: Car insurance Framers vs. AAA

From: Karl Kaiser <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 18:11:08 -0800

Hello,

Maybe someone can give me advice or share his opinion on car insurance.
I am shopping around for better car insurance rates. Currently I am
insured by Framers. Farmers was very helpful seven years ago when I came
to the Bay Area. They did offer me insurance for a decent rate
accounting for all my European years of driving. They even insured an
imported Smart-Car with swiss number plates without much hassles. So if
you look for car insurance as a new immigrant, let me know and I can
refer you to my agent.

In the mean time, AAA is willing to insure me as well although they
bluntly declined me as a new immigrant seven years ago. The rates quoted
by both companies are about the same, so I was wondering whether some of
you have some advice. I hear that AAA is the insurance of choice.
According to their sales pitch they handle claim cases most generously.
So far I am happy with Farmers but must say that I never had to process
a claim with them.

Does anyone have some experience with both insurance companies?
Particular how difficult they are to deal with processing a claim?

Kind regards,
Karl Kaiser