swiss-list: Career Advice for an American?

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:54:28 -0500

Good afternoon,

I'm an American with a great deal of enthusiasm for Switzerland, and am
exploring the idea of finding a job there. Right now I work as an IT Director
for a branding and design firm in Cincinnati, Ohio.

I realize that it is a pretty serious undertaking to pursue work in
Switzerland, but I'd like to at least begin to consider it among my options and
make plans to accomodate this possibility in the future. At the moment the most
difficult issues seem to be finding employment, obtaining a work permit,
learning about Swiss CV formatting and job search expectations, and language
issues. (I speak very basic German, no Swiss German, French, Romansch, or
Italian, but am eager to learn.)

I would be very pleased to hear any advice that anyone may be kind enough to
offer. Perhaps I can offer some similar assistance to Swiss looking for work in
the US. I've been a hiring mangager in IT for a couple of years here and might
be able to offer some corresponding insights in return.

Thanks very much.

John Swartz