Re: swiss-list: How about retirement accounts?

From: Chris Cavigioli <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:36:16 -0700

I am a Swiss-American who is primarily based in USA, but I worked in
Munich, Germany for almost 8 years. The dumbest thing I did was when I
was in Germany I interrupted my yearly retirement savings in USA and
instead put money into the German system. What I should have done is to
open an IRA such as a Roth-IRA and contributed max into the US system on
my own, in parallel with the German system. The way I did it, I have a
7-year gap in my US retirement savings that can't be undone now. I also
lost out on compounded interest during that whole time. During that
time, I didn't have any spectacular investment returns on any post-tax
money that would justify not putting into retirement savings.

The sad truth is that such basic principles as retirement planning are
not taught in the schools and typically many citizens are not focused on
thinking about their retirement when young .. just at the time it is the
best for them to start and to learn how to plan for retirement. It's
also in the gov't best interest to teach our young, otherwise the poor
retired masses will drain out the countries resources later. It seems
it would be in everyone's best interest that people retire rich instead
of poor.

Now I have my retirement investments split between 2 country systems,
neither of which would perform as well as if I had kept at least one of
them uninterrupted.

The companies I worked for also didn't go out of their way to educate
their employees about this ... it's left up to the individual to inform
themselves.

We ex-pats have a special case because there aren't a lot of experts who
are well versed in ex-pat situations ... except other ex-pats who have
experienced it themselves ... but often those ex-pats aren't CPAs or tax
lawyers ... they are engineers or scientists that focus on other topics
of interest in their daily lives. The avent of Internet and email is a
real God-send to those of us in this community. Too bad it wasn't
ubiquitous when I was in Germany as it is today.

-chris