Re: swiss-list: Double Taxation Switzerland and USA / Social Security

From: Remi Mommsen <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:06:53 -0700

Hi,

On Apr 15, 2004, at 3:11 PM, Marc Audard wrote:

> Hi-
>
> Wait a second. I think there is a misconception about
> paying the AVS in Switzerland and paying the facultative
> AVS. I am not aware at all of this rule that after 1yr
> without paying AVS (assuming facultative) you cannot pay it
> again. The main requirement for facultative AVS is to
> have paid for at least 5 consecutive years in CH in order
> to be able to "join" the facultative AVS. The latter is
> also renewable every year, and one can stop it at any
> time (within a certain time frame).

You can stop paying for it at any time, but you have to join the
facultative AHV within one year after your last payment to the
mandatory AHV. See point 3 in the official brochure
(http://www.avs-ai.ch/Commun/10.02-DFI.pdf)

Cheers,
        Remi

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists else-
where in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
                                               Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Remigius K. Mommsen e-mail: mommsen_at_slac.stanford.edu
University of California, Irvine URL: http://cern.ch/mommsen
c/o SLAC voice: ++1 (650) 926-3595
2575 Sand Hill Road #35 fax: ++1 (650) 926-3882
Menlo Park, CA 94025, US home: ++1 (650) 233-9041