swiss-list: investment question

From: Oliver Landolt <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 09:19:42 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

Another investment question. I live in the US and earn
money in USD. Keeping in mind that I may want to
return to Europe at some point, I would like to invest
my spare cash in a way that it retains its value even
if the dollar keeps dropping with respect to CHF and
EUR.

The most obvious solution would be to transfer my cash
 to an account in Switzerland or elswhere in the EU
and buy mutual fund shares there. Unfortunately, this
seems to have recently become illegal (see my previous
post).

Another way would be to buy from a US mutual fund
focused on foreign securities. Common sense tells me
that if such a fund holds shares of e.g. Swiss
securities and the USD slips with respect to CHF, then
the value of my mutual fund shares (denominated in
USD) should increase by the same ratio.

Does anyone know whether this works in practice?

Happy new year,

Oliver