Re: [Swiss-list] Consulting contracts while on a H1-B status

From: Erik Bruchez <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 18:33:59 -0700

Hi,

I am not a lawyer, but as far as I know you can have multiple
concurrent H-1B with different employers at the same time (e.g. if you
have two part-time jobs). I assume then that you could also have an
H-1B with an employer, and another type of work visa with another
employer (although I am not sure what type of visa that would be). So
technically yes, you can have more than one employer.

But this probably doesn't help you much unless you can in effect
obtain another H-1B. I don't think that you are allowed to work for
another employer without having a proper visa or permit for that. And
as far as I know (told by an immigration lawyer a few years ago) this
is not even related to pay: you are not even allowed to work for free
without a proper visa or permit. I assume otherwise people would come
to the US, work for "free", but indirectly be paid abroad (just a
guess).

Again, I may be totally wrong, but I don't think that you can legally
perform work outside of what your current H-1B covers.

-Erik

--
Erik Bruchez's Ponderings
http://erik.bruchez.name/