Re: [Swiss-list] Moving back to CH

From: Laurent Piguet <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:49:55 +0100

>I know that this is not Switzerland but do I have to
>give notice of departure (abmelden) as one has to do
>when leaving Switzerland to live somewhere else?

Yes, you have to announce your departure at the Consulate in SF, and
register in your new town when you arrive.
Once you have done that, everything will happen automatically...
(like getting a nice note from Swiss authorities about your taxes...)

>How about taxes? I've been told that having dual
>citizenship one get's taxed in the US as well as in CH
>however only when having a certain income? Then I
>heard no matter how much one earns back in CH you'll
>still have to pay in the US as well??

You will, above a certain amount. It is around $80k / year per person
(check publications for exact number).
Most people typically don't end up having to pay anything to the IRS,
but you have to file each year, which in itself is a pain.
Unfortunately, with the falling value of the dollar, it is becoming
easier to end up owing...

>For the time being I'd like to keep my bank account
>here for a while. Is that ok? I might just give them
>an c/o address with a friend for the mail.

You will need a local bank account. Being a US citizen, you will get
some degree of hassling by the Swiss banks, limiting your access to
certain securities (you can thank the US government for this).
I suppose you can leave your assets in the US, but maybe there is a
reason to move stuff, or leave stuff, for fiscal or other reason. You
should probably plan to talk to someone competent about these matters
when you return. The names of several people have been posted to this
list in the past.

>I don't have much to move, no furniture, just clothes
>and some personal belongings. I have seen the links to
>the moving companies suggested however, as I don't
>have too much, yet too much to take on the plane, has
>anyone ever done or heard about sharing a container
>with someone? I have no clue;-(( how many square
>meters or I blieve cubic meters I would have but maybe
>someone could give me an idea, again considering just
>clothes and personal things. I'm thinking I could
>maybe fill 10 suitcases or so, maybe a bit more.

I don't know anything about this. I suppose it's all right, as long
as you are going to the same place. Otherwise, it will probably be a hassle.

Good luck,

Laurent