[Swiss-list] Planning for Retirement in Switzerland

From: Dennis Staiger <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 16:01:23 -0400

Dear Listmembers,

I am a Swiss citizen, 29 years old and I moved to the US three years
ago. I am fully employed here and I contribute to a 401k and a Roth IRA.
I now would like to know what happens to my retirement accounts when
I move back to Europe (most likely Switzerland) in 5 to 10 years:

- Can I keep the accounts? Should I roll them over into something else?
- How does it work with taxes? Do I get hit twice?
- Knowing that I will be leaving the US in a few years, what would be
the smartest way to invest for my retirement? Should I ignore them
all together (besides the company's matching contribution) and invest
in tax optimized index funds?
- Should I build up a portfolio in Switzerland instead (and paying
the currency exchange rate)? There seems to be no "Swiss Vanguard"
out there. Where can I find low cost index funds?
- I have not been contributing to the AHV for 2 years since I am
doing so for social security instead. Was that a mistake, i.e. should
I resume payments if possible?

In order to get solid answers to these questions, who would be the
person to talk to? A fee based financial adviser specialized in
international tax law? Where would I find such a person?

I talked to the tax officials in Switzerland (department for
international taxation and double taxation), but they were not able
to give me a clear answer at all.

I am hesitating to put more money in my retirement accounts even
though I can afford it, because of all these uncertainties. And this
is for sure not the smartest move...

I would be thankful for any hints and tips.

Thank you!
D.