Re: [Swiss-list] Antwort: [BULK] Green Card, Moving back to Switzerland, Taxes

From: Daniel G. Kluge <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 21:36:38 +0200

Am 04.06.2007 um 21:19 schrieb Michael Rudolf:

> Swiss military taxes: have to be paid for the service missed up
> until the
> year 1999 (or 2000, I do not remember). No chance to avoid it, but
> mostly
> you pay based on your last tax forms before you moved (in my case I
> was a
> student and so I had no income).

Sorry for the delay, but I have to chip in here, because the
situation is a little bit more tricky than that.

If you leave Switzerland, you normally have to pay for three years,
BUT this is just an estimated amount.

When you come back, or sometime after that (up to five years), they
will ask you for a proper declaration of your income, and tax you on
that.

I was in the US from 1999-2002, paid a random amount BEFORE leaving
definitively. I returned to Switzerland (Canton of Geneva) in 2003,
did two military repetition courses and got discharged because of age
in 2005.

November of 2006 I moved back to Zurich and got a letter from the Amt
of für Militär und Zivilschutz of the Canton Zürich, "To the
returning from abroad", with the request to properly declare my
income 1999-2002; that was fun!

So it looks like if you return to a different Canton, you might not
have to pay anything more, I never found out why they were only now
sending me the paperwork, and not after I moved back to Switzerland.
I also don't really understand for how far back you have to pay.

SR661 WPEG Art 38.2 says : "Die Verjährung beginnt nicht und steht
stille [...] solange keiner der Zahlungspflichtigen im Inland
Wohnsitz hat."

My letter from the Amt says: "Die Verjährung beginnt nicht und steht
stille... solange der Zahlungspflichtige im Inland Wohnsitz hat"

Your guess is as good as mine :-)

Cheers,
-daniel (Oh yeah, in the end I got CHF 36 back, don't ask me how they
got to that, I estimated a different outcome)

+++++++ KILLMIME removed the following attachment(s):
+++++++++ part2: HTML document text