Re: [Swiss-list] Green Card, Moving back to Switzerland, Taxes

From: Bela Ban <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 16:46:21 +0200

return your green card as soon as possible, then you won't have to pay
taxes in the US. However, this only works if you have not been a Long
Term Resident (under 5 years, I believe. Or was it 8 ?).
If you've had the green card for more than 8 years, you have to pay
taxes in the US even if you return your card for *10 years* (you're
treated like a US citizen).

Taxation: you have to file a 1040, but can deduct USD 80'000 from your
income, plus housing costs if you own a house. Then compute your US
taxes based on that. Subtract the taxes you pay in Switzerland from
those, the result is usually 0 or negative.

I did this in 2004, so the tax law might have changed, I suggest a tax
lawyer might come in handy...

--
Bela Ban
Lead JGroups / JBoss Clustering team