Re: [Swiss-list] Green Card, Moving back to Switzerland, Taxes

From: Laurent Piguet <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 16:52:39 +0200

Hi,

Did you read the archives? There were quite a few posts recently on
the topic. And a few more earlier...

>Here's the scoop: After several years in the US, I'm returning to my
>native Switzerland. I do have a US Green Card.
>
>- Has anyone out there made the same move? What was your
>experience, especially regarding US-taxation, Swiss taxation, AHV/AVS, etc.?

US taxation: this is mentioned in the archives in great detail in a
very recent post.
AHV/AVS: this too, but sometime earlier.

>- As far as I understand, as long as I'm considered a US resident, I
>may have to pay taxes to the US, potentially on income already taxed
>in Switzerland. Is this correct? I'm very open to the idea of
>returning my Green Card to avoid this.

See above.
Beware that "returning your Green Card to avoid this" might be
considered tax evasion, if I remember correctly something I think I
read a while back. Check into it. Alternatively, keep it for the
required time, then return it. In all likelihood, you will not have
to pay anything to the IRS, because of the foreign income exclusions, etc...

>- What's the best way to deal with a US 401(k) when leaving the
>US? Just rolling it over into a IRA and keeping it there until I
>hit retirement age?

I don't know that.

>- What taxes, esp. back taxes do I have to expect from Swiss
>authorities? I once heard that I may be liable for military service
>missed due to my stay abroad. Is this correct?

I don't know how the situation has evolved now. But it certainly used
to be true. Did you pay your military taxes during 3 years (or so)
while abroad? If not, you will probably be liable for them when you
get back. You can probably expect this will be one of the first
pieces of mail you will get when you settle into your new place...
Welcome back! :)

Laurent