Re: [Swiss-list] US taxes, US-Swiss couple in Switzerland

From: Maria Otero <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 11:25:57 -0700 (PDT)

Dan,

  The Swiss tax rate of 41.5% includes Federal and Canton taxes and both
  can be credited to your US tax return. Please keep in mind that
  Switzerland also has a wealth tax and this tax cannot be credited on your
  US tax return however you can deduct it on your Schedule A.

  Concerning the green card, your wife might lose it once you return to
  Switzerland unless you come back to the US at least once a year. However,
  you need to pay attention that she files the right forms with the IRS if
  she wants to give it back. You can "lose" your green card for immigration
  purposes but be still considered a US resident for fiscal reasons. Also,
  depending on how long she had it and her personal situation, she might
  need to file expatriate tax returns for 10 years and state US effectively
  connected income on her US tax returns.

  Dealing with US taxes, US citizenship and green card is complicated and I
  would advise you to get proper advise once you move to Switzerland.

  Concerning the US citizenship, I don't know if you can still apply for it
  while you are residing in Switzerland and I would contact the US ambassy
  in Bern.

  For you to have the Swiss citizenship, you need to be married 5 years and
  reside 5 years in Switzerland if I remember correctly. But I am sure that
  you need to reside in Switzerland.

  Hope this helps,

  Maria