Re: [Swiss-list] US taxes, US-Swiss couple in Switzerland

From: Laurent Piguet <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 17:22:44 +0200

I think my answer would be simple: don't become a US citizen if you
don't have to.

Being US prevents you from access to certain securities, forces you
to file (and possibly pay) taxes, etc, etc.

Too much hassle for probably not much benefit.

Additionally, I believe the following is true: if you become US, then
decide you are not interested anymore (for the reasons above), you
will have to justify your actions and pretty much prove that it has
nothing to do with fiscal evasion, which will probably (that's my
guess) be a real pain and a large lawyer fee.

Laurent