Re: [Swiss-list] shipping from NYC to ZRH

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 09:49:04 +0200

Hi Franco,

I used to ship books from the US to Europe through the US Post Office, the
last time I did it was 5 years ago. They have a special rate for books,
you can pack them in a box ( I think it is the second biggest box the Post
Office sells, but you can ask) which fits into the so called M-bag, which
the Post Office will give you when you get there. The boxes go by sea and
they take about two months, the Swiss Post Office delivers them to you on
your door, but usually the boxes get there flattened, so I really
recommend the usage of a box inside the bag, but you get to keep the
bag..... So M-bag is recommended for books and beddings only, everything
else gets broken. The price used to be 25 cents/ pound, but I am sure it
must have increased.

 I do not know why, but the US post office does not really advertise for
it. I had sent some boxes M-bag 10 years ago. Then I never heard anything
about it. But then when I needed it I remembered and asked the clerk at
the little Post Office nearby and he confirmed the existence of it.

Best regards,
Corinna

Corinna Grisostomi, PhD
Medicinal Chemistry / Actelion Pharmaceuticals Ltd / Gewerbestrasse 16 /
CH - 4123 Allschwil /Switzerland
phone: +41 61 565 65 65 / direct +41 61 565 65 66 / fax +41 61 565 65 00 /
corinna.grisostomi_at_actelion.com / www.actelion.com