Re: [Swiss-list] Finding a job in Switzerland as an American citizen

From: Lauber, Jan <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:50:37 -0700

Sébastien,

We were in a similar situation some 15 years ago. We got married before returning
to CH to facilitate finding work. She got a B permit, which allows you to look for
work, but once you find a job, you still need to get the work permit. Early 90's was
a bit of a recession in CH and finding a job was hard then. We had absolutely no
luck with any of the international organizations and she ended up finding a job
with Oracle Switzerland (an American company) in Lausanne. But the coup du grace was
that she had to wait 4 months for the work permit from the Kanton. Quite disgraceful and
one reason we eventually moved back to the US.

We found that collegues who lived across the boarder in France (Ferney-Voltaire)
had a much easier time to get a frontalier permit, which may be viewed as less of
a threat to Swiss jobs. But unfortunately (as I said, 10-15 years ago, for what its
worth) the employment rate of spouses and girlfriends was appaullingly low, regardless of
qualifications. I hope things are better now.

Best of luck !

Jan