Re: [Swiss-list] residence permit for spouse of swiss citizen

From: Laurent Piguet <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:36:15 +0200

In your case, you should probably simply switch to Swiss nationality.

Provided you fulfill the criteria in terms of number of years you've
been married together, it's a simple and quick procedure.

My wife recently did it, and I remember that the requirement was
actually misunderstood by the person at the commune (who doles out
the paperwork). I did some checking at the time and found this:
------
Art 28 or the "Law on citizenship":
http://www.admin.ch/ch/f/rs/141_0/a28.html
(sorry, no english)

Art. 281
Conjoint d'un Suisse de l'étranger

1 Le conjoint étranger d'un ressortissant suisse qui vit ou a vécu à
l'étranger peut former une demande de naturalisation facilitée si:
a. il vit depuis six ans en communauté conjugale avec le
ressortissant suisse; et
b. il a des liens étroits avec la Suisse.
2 Le requérant acquiert le droit de cité cantonal et communal de son
conjoint suisse.

----
The key is in point 1 ... "the foreign spouse of a Swiss citizen who
lives OR HAS LIVED abroad can ...".
So, if your Swiss spouse has lived abroad, you just need to have been
married for 6 years.
Otherwise, the "standard" requirements would apply, under Art. 27,
namely that you need to "have resided in Switzerland for 5 years
total, AND have resided lately for at least a year AND have been
married to and lived with a Swiss spouse for at least three years"
Good luck. And remember: sometimes the "local" authorities don't know
the law exactly right...
Laurent