Re: [Swiss-list] [swiss-list] AHV/Social Security

From: Stefanie Frischknecht <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 23:52:55 -0500

My understanding is that you have to pay a total of 10 years of Social
Security in order to ever see any of it. This applies to everybody and
anybody, including American citizens.
Therefore, I thought that those Swiss who are only here short-term should
really consider paying AHV, though we all know that it is extremely
expensive (what, 10% of your salary or something ridiculous?).

I recently heard Bush say something about wanting to change laws in order to
cut Social Security benefits from people who don't retire in the US..... but
then, I've heard him say a lot of things. Also, in 30 years or so (which is
when I'd reach retirement age, for example), there may not be any SS
benefits for anybody regardless.

Retirement benefits
Anyone born in 1929 or later needs 10 years of work (40 credits) to be
eligible for retirement benefits. People born before 1929 need fewer years
of work.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10072.html#how

I think this information is also included in the Totalization Agreement with
Switzerland section that is included in Maria's link below... but I'm trying
to make sense of that one still because I didn't even know it existed..

- Stefanie