[Swiss-list] gift tax

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:28:12 -0600

I'm looking for some tax information about receiving gifts from someone in Switzerland. I've seen that people have been asking this sort of question on this mailing-list already but I haven't seen a definitive answer to it.

The particular question I have is as follows. If one receives a $ gift from Switzerland, is that taxable by the receiver in the US, and if so, under which circumstances?