Re: [Swiss-list] Are the entries from US citizens back into the US recorded

From: Dave Long <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:43:32 +0200

> Are the entries from US citizens back into the US recorded
> electronically at the
> airport when they come back from a trip abroad?

 From yesterday's Washington Post:
"U.S. to seek more leeway on air passenger records"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/17/
AR2006101700415.html
> Under the October 6 deal, European airlines must pass on up to 34
> items of data, including passengers' addresses, telephone numbers and
> credit card details, in order to be allowed to land at U.S. airports.
> But the chief U.S. negotiator of that pact, which is due to be
> replaced by a permanent accord after July 2007, said Washington would
> push for the right to hold data on passengers for longer than the
> current arrangement of 3-1/2 years.
>
> "Our usual rule for law enforcement data is that it is kept for about
> 40 years ...

So, yes. Not just US citizens, but everyone flying, and it appears
they're recorded electronically at the departure airport, then
forwarded immediately after departure.

> do you get your US passport stamped each time you come in and you get
> out of a european country?

I haven't. You may be able to get some stamps by asking nicely, though.

-Dave