Re: [Swiss-list] Travel to Irvine (LA) for five months

From: Matthias Neeracher <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:19:14 -0800

On Feb 14, 2006, at 7:29 AM, mrose.daniel_at_gmail.com wrote:
> I will travel to the USA for five months and will work there for my
> company in Switzerland.
> So they send me to the USA but i'm still here in Swiss payed.
>
> My Question is: Do i need a work authorization from the US
> Department of Homeland Security (DHS) as described under:
> http://bern.usembassy.gov/required_documentation.html work Visas?

Absolutely! The situation you describe might be covered by an L visa,
but I'm not an immigration attorney and you & your employer
definitely should consult one as quickly as possible (visas can take
considerable time to get approved).

Consequences if you get caught working without a valid visa can be
quite severe (You'd probably be barred from entering the country for
several years), although one might think that there are worse fates