Re: swiss-list: which long-distance phone carrier?

From: Sven Feldmann <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:47:07 -0500

Pierre,

I pay $20 a month (plus $2.25 taxes) and get unlimited North America (local
and long distance) *and* Western Europe with all the bells and whistles
(caller ID, voice box, 3-way, etc...) with Lingo
(<http://lingo.com/voip/residential/home_plans.jsp>). It is VoIP service --
but unlike Skype it plugs into your phone line at home and works with any
old phone, so you don't have to use your computer to make a call. Voice
quality is as good as land based calls, at least 98% of the time. The
unlimited Europe plan makes it much cheaper than the much advertised
competitor Vonage, provided you call Switzerland once in a while.

Being a VoIP service, Lingo of course requires high speed internet access.
The Voip box arrives within a day or two of signing up, is simple to set up,
and their Canadian tech support is efficient (unlike their Indian based
customer service for other matters). Some people are concerned about
downsides of VoIP, such as 911-service outage during power or internet
failure. If you own a cell phone, this is a non-issue. Bear in mind that
many traditional phone companies (e.g., SBC here in Illinois) nowadays also
install VoIP, often without the customer's knowledge, but continue to charge
you an arm and a leg as for traditional phone lines.

Lingo is a sister company of Isterra (which I previously used for more than
a decade and still use as my calling card provider when I travel). Both are
owned by Aussi based Primus Communications.

If you let me refer you, we both get a credit of $25 ;-) Just email me.

Best,

-Sven