Re: swiss-list: zipcar

From: Olivier Hugli <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:16:57 -0400

Hi !

I ran in the same issue. I contacted the Swiss RMV (Service des
Automobiles), which issued a driving certificate stating that I had a
clean driving record. The certificate was in French, but someone in the
Boston Zipcar office knows French, and I did not have to provide a
notary certified translation.
Also be aware that a Swiss driving license is valid only up to a year,
and you will need to pass a Massachusetts driving test (written test
and behind the wheel test !). THe RMV website is misleading as it
incorrectly states that Swiss and German drivers do not need to convert
their foreign driving license
(http://www.mass.gov/rmv/dmanual/appendixc.pdf). In fact, only the
Germans still have this privilege...
Good Luck