RE: swiss-list: Access to Direct Net from the US

From: Anne Masser <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:00:05 -0700

Hi,
I still have a CS account. When I moved here 10 years ago, I told them about the move, and it was no problem with access etc until 2 years ago. Then the treaty between US and CH changed. So to have an account at CS and live in US, you have to have at least CHF 50'000 on the account, otherwise it cost them more on administrative fees with US registration than what they make on interest.
I use the account just during my vacation at home, so I don't have to carry too much cash with me, and can pull money from any ATM while I'm there, so I have hardly anything on the account. My solution was to just "move back to Switzerland". My bank adviser hinted that they don't check your address, as long as the mail does not come back to them. So my parents address works just fine, and I can do with my account what I want, and the Swiss "Bankgeheimnis" is applicable. I don't do electronic banking over there, but I assume that this should work as well.
    Anne