Re: swiss-list: new business / H1B - any advice?

From: Erik Bruchez <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:35:29 +0200

Daniel,

I don't know if things have changed since 1999, so don't quite me on
this because it is an important matter.

But back then you could not sponsor your own H-1B. I.e. you can't
incorporate a new company as John Doe, and then file an H-1B petition as
John Doe working for the new company to hire John Doe under that visa.

Note that for H-1B, the company must show that it has some investment or
revenue (anything that shows that the company can pay the employee).
There is also a "prevailing wage" that you must pay the H-1B employee,
and it's fairly high (note that you can work part-time, therefore
allowing the company to need less money to support the employee at the
prevailing wage).

A possibility is to have another shareholder in the company, with green
card or nationality, who can file the H-1B. Then you can become an
employee of the company. The drawback is that you need somebody else in
the company.

I also think that you can file for one of the E1 or E2 visas, but for
this you had to bring money (from outside the country I believe) and
make a case that the amount of money invested can allow the company to
start.

I hope this helps, but you should talk with an immigration layer.

-Erik