swiss-list: new business / H1B - any advice?

From: Daniel Graf <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 13:07:08 +0200

Hi,

Currently I am working in Silicon Valley for a large international company
under a H1B visa in Internet/high tech/new media. I just gave notice (last day
will be end of June) as I want to pursue my own plans again after 4 years of
being part of a large corporation. Now I am not too sure how I could do this in
the U.S., given that it is not always easy with visas. My H1B expires in
January, but I could then extend for another 3 years. I am aware that 2 weeks
after I leave my current job, the visa will expire and I have to leave the
country, unless I have a new job, so I could apply for a transfer. Now my
question is, if I for example started an LLC, could I transfer my H1B to that
company? If somehow possible I would like to start the business in the U.S.,
but it's not absolutely necessary. Therefore if anyone can give me some
recommendations regarding the visa situation when starting an own business, I
would highly appreciate.

Background:
- Swiss citizen
- B.S. from Switzerland