swiss-list: J-1 home rule and green card lottery

From: Ursina & Christof Teuscher <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 21:04:38 -0700

Dear all,

We're both on J-1 visas with a 2-year home rule and got lucky
in the green card lottery this year. Our immigration attorney
wants us to get waivers for the home rule asap, but we've heard
that this could be a problem (1) because it is harder to
justify why to get a waiver after one year and (2) because
we might loose our J-1 status but not get a green card in the
end. Did anyone go through this process (i.e., from a J-1 visa
with a home rule to a green card via the lottery) recently?
Obtaining the waivers seems absolutely critical in our case.
Any tips and do's and don'ts are highly appreciated. Thanks!

Best regards,
Ursina & Christof