Re: swiss-list: Info on economy in Switzerland

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:56:28 -0600

Swiss-listers,

Being on the other side of this equation (starting up a company
in Switzerland and worrying about how easy it will be to attract
skilled talent) I'd like to run a similar question past the list.

My general impression is that recruiting straight out of school
is not so common in Switzerland, on the demand side because the
generalist orientation of the universities doesn't necessarily
produce "must have" fresh-outs, and on the supply side because
many graduates (at least in software related fields) find that
taking a post elsewhere sounds more attractive.

On the other hand, from what I have been told, and from some of
my personal interactions, it seems that it is not so difficult
to entice people to return to Switzerland, once they've had the
experience (in both a business and personal sense) abroad.

(This last observation is not even limited to returning Swiss:
Pittet's company, Day, was able to attract Roy Fielding, who
has been very active in web standardization for over a decade)

What do you all think?

regards,
-Dave