Re: swiss-list: US visa processing in Berne

From: mix <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 17:29:21 +0100

Hi Christian

1) As Chris said, waiting time is about a month. It is possible that
you're lucky and get an earlier slot that someone else dropped. But as
you can imagine that doesn't happen very often.

2) Officially (i.e. embassy-hotline) it takes up to a week. However,
when I got my H1B in early December, the consul told me they usually put
it in the mail on the next day if there are no problems with your
application. I actually got my passport in the mail on the morning after
the appointment (make sure to put A-Post and maybe Eingeschrieben on the
self-addressed envelope you give them, not a good time to be a
cheapskate...;)

3) I'm also not aware of any changes. But do make sure to follow their
instructions exactly and bring everything as specified (be on the safe
side: bring every piece of paper you can think of that will support your
good intentions and/or eliminate their doubts). I saw three people who
ran into problems that morning because they didn't have the pictures as
specified, forgot to pay the fee in advance, or didn't bring a statement
of sufficient funds (to name but a few possible problems). That's
somewhat unfortunate after waiting for a month or even longer...

Generally I was surprised how smoothly everything went at the embassy.
Just be prepared for a 3-hour wait, bring a book or something.
Good luck!

Michael