swiss-list: Google Europe is hiring Software Engineers - ZURICH, SWITZERLAND

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 07:46:02 -0600

Google Europe is hiring!

Google opened a European engineering center in Zurich, Switzerland in 2004.
We're looking to hire talented software engineers, top programmers and
visionary computer scientists. The engineering development team in Zurich will
mirror Google's other engineering offices, with the same scope of work, hiring
standards and unique Google culture.

Our engineering team is working on problems in a number of areas, including
distributed systems, information retrieval, algorithms, UI, a variety of novel
search features, and scalability issues related to dealing with huge amounts of
data and a rapidly increasing user base. In addition, the European engineering
center will focus on improving our language-specific offerings in ways that
will benefit all of our global services, while ensuring that Google's
usefulness in each of the major European languages is unsurpassed.

Engineers hired into our European engineering center will take on projects that
match their backgrounds and interests and will work with their peers in other
Google offices to ensure that their concepts come to fruition. Those who join
us in this worldwide effort can expect an outstanding work environment and the
satisfaction of tackling some of the most interesting challenges in computing
today.

Software Engineer
We need world-class engineers to develop the next generation search engine. Our
engineering team is working on problems in a number of areas, including
cutting-edge information retrieval algorithms, scalability issues related to
dealing with huge amounts of data and a rapidly increasing user base, and a
variety of novel search features. If you have a need to bring order to a
chaotic web, contact us.

Requirements:
University Degree in Computer Science or a closely related field (Ph.D. a plus).
Strong C/C++ programming skills.
Substantial knowledge of UNIX/Linux or Windows environments.
Extensive experience designing and programming large scale, distributed systems, machine learning, information retrieval algorithms, network programming, linux kernel and/or developing large software systems.
Several years of software development experience.
Enthusiasm for solving interesting problems.
Fluency in English.
For consideration please send a text (ASCII) or HTML version of your resume to zurichjobs_at_google.com. Important: The subject field of your email must include Software Engineer - Zurich.
Java Software Engineer
We are hiring Java software engineers to write server-side code for web-based applications for both internal and external use. We are looking for well-rounded developers who know how to create robust production applications and can also develop prototypes quickly. You should have a good understanding of, and practical production experience with, Java web application development.

Requirements:
University Degree in Computer Science or closely related field (Ph.D. a plus).
3+ years Java web application programming experience, 5+ years industry experience.
Experience using SQL including some database design.
Significant development experience in a Unix/Linux environment.
Experience with Python, C++, Javascript desired.
Enthusiasm for solving interesting problems.
Fluency in English.
For consideration please send a text (ASCII) or HTML version of your resume to zurichjobs_at_google.com.
Important: The subject field of your email must include Java - Zurich.