Re: swiss-list: VISA H1B1 or J1?

From: Paolo Bosshard <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:27:50 -0700

I'm in a similar situation, except that I was hired as a staff member and I
had no choice but the H1B visa. Apparently this visa isn't that bad despite
of the initial problems with the working permit for your (our) wife(ves).

The best for her would of course be finding a position before coming to the
States and asking for an H1B directly. If for any reason that doesn't work
out and she decides to come with a spouse visa, the H4, I believe, but I'm
not sure yet, that she will be able to look for a job from here and to
convert her H4 into an H1B, even if most probably she would have to go back
to Switzerland for a (short?) while during this process.

Being a professor, your university is likely to sponsor your Green Card
application. In this case you may ask for a "concurrent adjustment of
status" (for some additional $1000) that will give your wife the right to
work 3 months, I believe, after you apply.