Re: swiss-list: Need to travel, pass expires in November

From: Patricia <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:14:21 -0400

Hi Marco,

Well, I tried everything to get a clear answer and this is far from easy.

The link on the INS web site tells:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm#travel

International Travel
A Permanent Resident of the United States can travel freely outside of
the US. A passport from the country of citizenship is normally all that
is needed. To reenter the US a Permanent Resident normally needs to
present the green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551) for
readmission. A reentry permit is needed for reentry for trips greater
than one year but less than two years in duration.

Now the word 'normally' may be scary here.

I called the CIS (ex INS) (1.800.375.5283), spoke with three different
persons, one being a supervisor, got two different answers.
But what seems to apply is that a green card holder only needs a valid
passport and the green card.
The 6 months from now expiration date is a rule for non-resident aliens.

I just applied for the new passport but it could take two to three weeks
(and not months) to get it.
And since I am a US resident, I am not allowed to apply for it in
Switzerland.

I will try to speak again with the consulate to see if they could issue
me a temporary passport.

Patricia