RE: swiss-list: us taxes: better to fill as resident?

From: Peter Buerki <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 00:46:58 -0500

Hi Carine,

I am doing my taxes myself. You can indeed choose, whether you want to file
separate or joint returns (and change it every year) and whether you should
file as resident(s) or non-resident(s). I was in the same situation when I
arrived here with my wife. Which option is best for you depends very much on
your personal situation.

I always calculated my taxes both ways starting with the joint return. Once you
have figured it all out for this one, it is not much additional work to
calculate it for separate returns as well. I am afraid that you will probably
have to do the exercise four times to make sure that you have to pay as little
as possible.

Note that if you file separately, both returns need to take the same type of
deductions. You cannot itemize deductions on one return, and take a standard
deduction on the other (:-().

Take a look at the archives of the Swiss list to find public accountants
recommended by Swisslisters that can do the taxes for you.

All federal and CA state tax forms, instructions, and publications can be
downloaded from the following webpages:

Federal returns: http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/index.html
California returns: http://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/index.html

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Peter
Peter R. Buerki, Ph.D.
R&D Engineer/Chemist
Scripps Institution of Oceanography
Geosciences Research Division, Dept. 0244
University of California San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA 92093-0244
Office: (858) 822-1642