Re: swiss-list: American birth certificate with special character

From: Laurent Jay <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 04:46:57 -0600 (CST)

Advice: the Swiss consulate will base the Swiss passport on
the US birth certificate, so it is quite probable that they
will not change a Foerstemann to Förstemann (unless you find some
agreeable Swiss officer, but as you know rules are rules!).
I would recommend that you declare Förstemann on the form
(make and keep a copy!) at the hospital that they will
use to prepare the birth certicate. You will get a US birth
certificate with Forstemann (although it varies from state to
state, but I doubt that you will get Förstemann).
Then add yourself an umlaut on the copy of the birth certicate
that you will send to the Swiss consulate (they do not use a MNR
or x-ray to check the ink on that paper, but some tired Swiss
eyes!), that's probably the only way to keep Förstemann in the
Swiss passport. If you have declared Foerstemann for the US birth
certificate, you will probably never be able to recover the name
Förstemann for your baby, neither in the US, nor in CH. Good luck.

-- Laurent