Re: swiss-list: American birth certificate with special character

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 02:48:25 EST

Congratulations on your expecting!!

I happen to be a Labor and Delivery nurse myself and I have a Swiss last
name. I had a legal name change almost 3 years ago. On the court paper I had
drawn up, I had both spellings on it - Schällibaum AND Schaellibaum. They were
literally written as "Schällibaum (Schaellibaum)" on the court paper and the
judge approved it. When I got my driver's license, nursing license, etc. -
they had to use the Schaellibaum spelling as they could not use the umlaut.
The professional organization where I am a member at did use the umlaut on my
card.

When I was working in Maryland I curiously asked our birth certificate
register on my floor and she told me that she cannot use the umlaut in names as the
state computer will not recognize it. Who knows that may change in the
future now we have so many immigrants who want to keep the official spelling of
their names.

Now I am in California - your E-mail question about that got me thinking - I
will ask the birth certificate register where I work.

I would like to know when you find out because when I have kids someday, I
want them to have the Schällibaum name.....with the umlaut, too!!

Audrey

In a message dated 2/28/2004 01:30:28 Pacific Standard Time,