Re: swiss-list: GSM/GPRS/EDGE in CH? data services on prepaid SIM? broadband Internet in CH?

From: Chris Cavigioli <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 17:06:27 -0800

Here is some of the learning I have experienced so far...

PHONE CARDS (fixed network)
I still haven't found the right calling card.
The comparis.ch web site doesn't touch calling cards, but it's a great site for other info.

DESK PHONES
I re-discovered that the Swiss STILL don't have phones that can do Touch-Tones [DTMF or MF-Wahl] during a call in progress!!
...especially not in office PBXes!!! Can you believe it in 2004???

HOTEL BROADBAND
My hotel (Villa Sassa) has no DSL.
My hotel does offer an 802.11b WLAN in the lobby, but you need to buy 2-hr or 24-hr units that begin once you first connect and
don't stop until they run out! (e.g. they are billing by time, whether or not you even use it ... what a rip off)
My hotel can dial-up with a modem, but ... the hotel still doesn't offer worldwide standard RJ-11 USA style phone jacks!! Can you
believe it in 2004??? So you have to drive down to the Migros at the airport in Lugano (or maybe another such store) and stock up on
adapters for AC power and phone jacks.

GSM/GPRS
GPRS is working here in Lugano with a local "sunrise.ch" GSM phone that I am borrowing.
I can purchase SIM $$ refills easily at the PTT post office in either CHF50 or CHF100 denominations ... but the PTT doesn't take
credit cards Can you believe it in 2004??? (Almost any other store or restaurant is taking credit cards so far...)
I haven't yet tried roaming with GPRS, but the sunrise.ch and comparis.ch sites claim it's no problem ... doesn't say anything about
data roaming charges ...?
For voice roaming, it's just expensive, that's all ... nothing new there ...
By the way, I think I remember that it's illegal in CH to drive while speaking on the phone ... not sure ... rental car agency has
no warning signs ... so I bought a "handsfree" headset but it doesn't work well.

-chris ... so far in Lugano

P.S. Oh yeah, I now remember how frustrating it is to sit at a red light in CH at night time (when everyone has already gone to
sleep) and you still can't turn right on red!!