RE: swiss-list: good immigration lawyer in NYC

From: Michael Rys <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:23:59 -0800

Just for getting the waiver, you do not need a lawyer.

When I did it in 1998, I got the forms from the Swiss embassy and sent
them the information and the money and they forwarded (less than a week)
the necessary paperwork to the (then) USIA that administered my J1. The
USIA took about a month to make a positive recommendation to the INS
which took another 2 months to grant the waiver.

I also started the H1B process with my prospective employer (using their
immigration lawyers) concurrently to the INS looking at the waiver. We
just informed them that another processing center was working on the
waiver. I got the waiver and visa within a week.

As I said, that was in 1998, so it was before some of the recent changes
in organization.

O-1 is better, but much more work than H1B on your side.

Best regards
Michael