RE: swiss-list: Question/survey on delivery of voting materials

From: Peter Buerki <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 02:20:38 -0500

Hello Beat, Dona, Leonore, and Michael,

I have made the same experience as you Michael. I also live in Southern
California and was (with one or two exceptions over seven years) always able to
participate in the votes.

Notably, Dona, I am registered to vote in Solothurn as well. I usually get the
materials about three weeks before the voting date. It takes a little effort on
my part, as I need to read the materials and do the vote right away, but this
leaves enough time to get the materials back in time. (From my experience, it
takes four to five days for mail to arrive in Switzerland.)

There was a mishap this year during the cantonal elections in Solothurn. I only
received the materials for the federal elections. I inquired about it and there
was an investigation. From that I know that the Kanton Solothurn is
subcontracting the mailing of the voting materials. There were some changes
with personnel at the subcontractor this year and some glitches and delays
happened.

As a result, the voting materials were sent out a second time to all Swiss
Abroad registered in Solothurn by express mail accompanied by an explanation
and apology of Peter Gisiger, the Secretary of State (Staatsschreiber) of
Solothurn. The voting materials arrived just in time and I was able to
participate in the cantonal vote. I would call this perfect service from the
canton of Solothurn. I was very pleased by this experience and felt that they
take the votes from us Swiss abroad serious back in Solothurn.

If some of you have problems with late deliveries from your community, send
them a friendly e-mail, so that they know about the long delivery times.
Remember that we Swiss (and those back home) are used to the perfect service of
the Swiss postal service and may take similar service for granted abroad.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you!

Peter Buerki
Oceanside, California