Re: swiss-list: Getting the passport back

From: Matthias Neeracher <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 23:59:49 -0800

On Dec 15, 2003, at 2:58 PM, Leonore Wigger wrote:
> I sent my passport by registered mail and I had it
> back within a few days.

Was this for an extension or a new passport? Although the consulate web
site says they will do extensions if requested before the end of the
year, in practice they are very reluctant to do so. However, the new
passports are done pretty quickly – about 2 weeks in our case.

> I believe they sent it back to me by courier.

FedEx. What you might be able to do so you don't have to be without a
passport for long is to

- Order the new passports.
- Once the consulate has them, send in your old passports.
- Have them send the new passports as soon as they get the old ones.

We did essentially that for my ID card, and turnaround time was under a
week. It would be best to call the consulate to explore your options.
The phones in SF were competently staffed with very reasonable hold
times.

Matthias