Re: swiss-list: welti-furrer for relocation

From: Marc Audard <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:27:12 -0400

Hi-

As for the first item, I am not sure. I know that people under
F-1 visas who still have their official address in Switzerland
do not need to pay CH taxes when their personal effects are
going out of CH, and they don't pay as well US taxes if the
effects are personal and have been in their possession more than
6 months (make it 1yr on the safe side). That is the case for
my girlfriend who moved in a month ago. I moved in a yr ago and
never had to show a piece of paper that I moved to the US.

As for the second item: I cannot believe that they would send
stuff back. The worse that can occur is that they block it,
search it, etc. Anyway it's the CH company's job to make sure
that all docs are OK. The US company (if taken together with
the CH company) will clear your stuff through the customs
if you give them all docs requested (e.g., visa, inventory,
some other docs). I had no problem a yr ago. My girlfriend
had some although I think that this was due to some incompetence
by the US company. Officially we had to pay $35 more since
the customs "searched" the boxes. Surprisingly when the boxes
arrived at our place, the boxes were intact...

The inventory does not need to be extremely detailed. Just general:

Box 1 = shoes
box 2 = books,
etc...

Mark the boxes in English too.