swiss-list: Short and urgent trip to Switzerland ... to get a job!

From: Philippe Passeraub <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:32:45 -0400

Does anyone have experience with a situation where:
- you are on a J1 visa with valid DS-2019,
- you have an expired entry visa,
- and you have to go quite soon to Switzerland only for a couples days and
then come back in the US?

I did apply for a research and teaching position in Switzerland, position
subject to cantonal rules of hiring, and after a first sucessful selection
and a few phone interviews, I now need to go to Switzerland in a couple
weeks for the final interview and selection by the committee (fixed
deadline). I understand that I need to have my entry visa renewed at the
embassy now, in order to come back.

My problem is the very short delay of notice, and the absolute need to come
back quickly.

I called early September the US Embassy in Switzerland (+41 31 357 7012),
and they told me that they no longer accept phone calls from outside
Switzerland concerning visa questions for foreigners (which was still
possible last year). The lady there, speaking english with a swiss-german
accent told me that (as you all know) I need to call the 0900 number at SFr
2.50 or so the minute. After having explained her that I had no way to call
and wait or have someone call in advance their 0900 number (my folks are
travelling outside Switzerland at this time), she gave me their fax number
(+41 31 357 7398) where we all can send our request for an appointment date.
So 2 weeks ago I did fax them a request (to the US General Consul in Bern),
but I got no answer. I did contact our embassy in Washington DC to get their
help, and they tried on their side several things, but I have no appointment
yet, and I am getting quite worried, that situation could turn quite
difficult if my application gets finally rejected, and if I get stuck in
Switzerland for several days. In between I did send a second fax, and did
recontact our embassy in DC, but no better result yet.

Does anyone have had a similar experience? (Short notice, emergency, request
by fax ...).

In advance I thank you for your possible feedback,

Philippe