Re: swiss-list: AHV

From: Dan Barrowman <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 17:54:42 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for all the responses, but I'm still confused.
:-)

Here's a link people may be interested in:
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/international/Agreement_Pamphlets/switzrld.html

It's written for US citizens/residents who may work in
Switzerland, but basically, there is a bi-lateral
agreement between Switzerland and the US to get credit
toward your retirement when you work in the other
country and pay either Social Security or for AHV.

>From what people have said so far, if my Swiss wife
has any job, let's say a job making almost nothing, we
can pay the minimum for AHV, however, if she has no
job, the payment for AHV is based on my salary, even
though I'm not Swiss and, I'm assuming, not eligible
for any benefits from AHV. That doesn't seem to make
any sense to me. Is that true?

Does the amount you pay in to AHV determine your
benefit in the end, or is it just the number of years?

Dan