RE: swiss-list: To naturalize or not to naturalize...

From: Michael Fellner 03 <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 18:55:23 -0400

Hi,

I got naturalized last year; the whole process from submitting my application
to swearing in ceremony took not even three month. (By the way I never even
had an unconditional green card, my "green card ordeal" took so long that my
five years were over before my conditions were ever removed.) So I was advised
by my lawyer that applying for citizenship might get me completely legal faster
than waiting to have my conditions removed.

My interview lasted about 10 minutes in which I was asked two very basic
"history" questions and had to promise that once a US citizen I would vote.
That was pretty much it...

The police officer that took my fingerprints mentioned that with "elections"
coming up, the naturalization process often miraculously speeds up for many
individuals. I guess that was the case for me since Massachusetts had
elections later that year.

As for passports, the INS officer told me that the US doesn't require me to
give back my original passport, they would however not acknowledge any other
citizenship and I would be required to travel using my US passport exclusively.

So, I believe naturalization is the way to go. The process is (or at least was
for me) very painless compared to all the other "interactions" I had with the
INS.

Michael

Nothing fixes a thing so intensely in the memory as the wish to forget it.
-Michel de Montaigne (1533-1592)

A man's conscience, like a warning line on the highway, tells him what he shouldn't do - but it does not keep him from doing it.
-Frank A. Clark

Michael Fellner
81 Prospect Street Apt. 9
Northampton, MA 01060