Re: swiss-list: To naturalize or not to naturalize...

From: Claudio Fleiner <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:55:17 -0500

on Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:08:41 -0700 "Lauber, Jan" <Jan.Lauber_at_kla-tencor.com> wrote:
JL> we've had many discussions on visa issues. Here's a question about going the
JL> whole hog. I've been married to a California girl for over 10 years, green card
JL> for almost 5, two kids, and no plans to move any times soon. I believe I'd be
JL> eligible to apply for citizenship just about now, but am in no great hurry to
JL> take the plunge, nor am I sure that I really want to. I know this is a highly
JL> personal decision. I feel its a little bit like getting married. You commit
JL> yourself to filling out those 1040s every year for the rest of your life.
You have been eligible for two years now (because you are married to a US citizen).
One advantage is that if your wife dies, right now you will have to pay
taxes on your inheritance. Once you are naturalized you don't (because they get
your money when you die...).

JL> I would love to hear about some of your experiences in this matter. Other than
JL> the dubious honor of getting to cast your vote for or against Arnold in the
JL> upcoming special elections, what are the benefits?
Regarding vorting: there is a group active right now that tries to get
immigrants to natuarlize, which apparently would be just in time for the
presidential election next year (just as an idea regarding timeline).

JL> And is it true that you get to keep your Swiss passport?
Check out http://www.richw.org/dualcit/ regarding the passport question.
Has also lots of other information available.

Claudio