swiss-list: To naturalize or not to naturalize...

From: Lauber, Jan <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:08:41 -0700

[Message redirected to swiss-list_at_swiss-list.com, the moderator]

Hi fellow swiss-listers,

we've had many discussions on visa issues. Here's a question about going the
whole hog. I've been married to a California girl for over 10 years, green card
for almost 5, two kids, and no plans to move any times soon. I believe I'd be
eligible to apply for citizenship just about now, but am in no great hurry to
take the plunge, nor am I sure that I really want to. I know this is a highly
personal decision. I feel its a little bit like getting married. You commit
yourself to filling out those 1040s every year for the rest of your life.

I would love to hear about some of your experiences in this matter. Other than
the dubious honor of getting to cast your vote for or against Arnold in the
upcoming special elections, what are the benefits? On the other hand, what has
kept you from that last big step? What is the process of naturalization like?
And is it true that you get to keep your Swiss passport? How long did it all
take? Tips? Thoughts?

Happy 1. Ougste to all of you

Jan Lauber