swiss-list: J2 working permit renewal

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 00:27:04 -0500

Dear swiss-lister,

I am a J1 postdoc and my wife is, or was working with a J2 VISA. As you
probably know, the J2 VISA provide you with the possibility to work, but you
have to ask for a work permit every year. To get a new one for the second year,
my wife sent the application letter in June 2002 (the deadline was end of
November 2002). Since she hasn't got any responses from the INS in November
2002, we went to the INS in San Jose and she received a temporary work permit
valid until July 14th 2003. Last May we received a letter from the INS asking
for additional evidences, these informations being ask to be send to the INS
before August 10th. We sent the asked information last week (it takes time to
collect information from Europe...) and went again to the INS to get a second
temporary working permit. But..., it is not possible to get a second extension
(new rules from last month, at least that's what they claimed...). Anyway, no
working permit = vacation for my wife...

Has anyone experienced such hassles to renew a J2 working permit and/or any
suggestions?

Laurent Zimmerli