Re: swiss-list: outstanding researcher greencard petition

From: Matthias Neeracher <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 22:19:49 -0700

On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 07:08 PM, Nico Ghilardi wrote:

> I just recently got a permanent job in the SF bay area, after having
> lived here already for four years.

To the extent that jobs here can be "permanent", I guess...

> Now in the process of applying for a greencard. I am a scientist and
> could try the route of outstanding researcher, which would bypass the
> time consuming labor certification.
> [...]
> I was wondering whether any of you have any personal experience with
> the greencard process, and if anyone has general tips for me regarding
> these issues.

I'm in the process of obtaining my green card myself, so I wouldn't
know for sure, but what my lawyer told me was that labor certification
and outstanding researcher petition don't prejudice each other, i.e.,
it is possible to pursue both until one of the two proceeds to a point
where it is clear that it will succeed.

Matthias