swiss-list: swiss looking for career in ngo in the USA

From: nadia zuodar <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:38:32 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Swiss-list members,

I am writing to you in order to get some advice on a career choice I have to make now. I am a swiss physicist and I just achieved a
master in development in Africa. Despite my very scientific background, I would like to do a career in NGO's preferentiably in
fields such a minorities in the US or human rights or governance. I have been living in the US for a while and since then I am
really motivated to deal with minorities questions and work there.
Right now I have had a phd proposal in a swiss medical institute and I have to decide whether I do it or not. It's in the field of
health and I should spend at least one year in Africa but it will make my CV even more scientific and specialized, it would be
perfect for an academical career but not for the goals I have. So the other possibility is to apply now to the international red
cross or some other humanitarian relief NGO. My problem is that I do not know what are the requirements of the NGO's in the US. Is
the phD too academical and therefore negative (though after the phD I can have a grant for a post-doc in the US which would simplify
the search for jobs as I could have an academic visa), is it better to do field work than look for some means to come to the US and
apply directly (though there will be a Visa problem in this case)? Believe me I have asked these questions since the last 2 years to
many connections I have in NGO's in Switzerland but nobody knows the rules for US
 work because even the red cross do not collaborate with offices abroad.
Thanks for your interest and hope to hear from you.
Nadia

Nadia Zuodar, Msc.
Nadia Zuodar c/o Lucio Zuodar
Ch. de Pallin 39